Have you made your summer bucket list? Make this your best summer ever by planning fun things to do with your friends and family. We’ve mapped out the top 10 bucket list items every food-loving family needs to complete this summer. Want to join the fun? Share your bucket list activities using the hashtag #howipamperedchef on Facebook and Instagram. Complete one challenge activity a week and by the end of the summer you’ll have 10 amazing memories.
1. Make s’mores in your backyard. Kick off summer with a campfire—it’s officially s’mores season! Get your friends and family together for a night of fun and delicious treats. Want a twist on classic s’mores? Try a few different combinations and use a serving caddy to keep everything organized. Don’t want to use branches for roasting your marshmallows? Get reusable, retractable s’more sticks that keep your hands away from the heat.
2. Throw a barbecue. Good weather calls for grilling. Change up your menu and add grilled pizzas to the mix. You can customize them by adding your favorite seasonal veggies or fruits as toppings. If you’ve never grilled pizza, make sure you have pizza-grilling essentials on hand like a grill stone, grill gloves, and a pizza cutter.
3. Make homeade ice cream. Skip the ice cream shop and make dessert at home. Use an ice cream maker to create your own frozen treats any time you want that are less expensive than store-bought. Bonus: You choose the flavors and toppings. Get even smoother ice cream when you store it in shallow, metal trays because they freeze the ice cream so quickly.
4. Have a picnic. Heading to the beach, park, zoo, or poolside this summer? Pack some portable snacks for everyone to enjoy and you’re ready for a picnic at any location. Trays and bowls that stay cool and mason jars are easy to pack and transport.
5. Make your own ice pops. Get your kids involved and make homemade ice pops. A quick-freezing ice pop maker is a great addition to your kitchen, especially in the summer. The treats are totally customizable and easy to make in under 8 minutes. Try Berry Lemonade Quicksicles for a refreshing and fruity treat. They’re perfect for a Fourth of July celebration, and you can also turn them into an adults-only treat!
6. Try a farm-to-table meal. For a fresh and fun way to lighten up weekday dinners, grab fresh produce at the farmer’s market and make a meal out of it. Summer is the best time for fruits and veggies: When they’re at their peak, they’re even more flavorful than usual. Try this one-pot pasta primavera.
7. Have a movie night. You can’t go wrong with a movie night. You can watch movies in your family room or the theater all year, but during the summer, your backyard can become the venue. Project a family favorite or newly released movie onto a sheet or the side of your garage, add homemade popcorn, and make summertime memories.
8. Create the ultimate ice cream sundae. Once you’ve mastered making homemade ice cream, elevate your dessert with homemade whipped cream and bubble waffle ice cream cones. You can make your own sundae bar with your family’s favorite toppings, so everyone can make their own unique desserts.
9. Host a brunch with friends. Summer is a great time to reconnect with friends. Plan a fun, relaxing event and add favorites like Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Braid or Crostini With Lemon-Basil Ricotta Spread to the menu. These recipes can be baked on stoneware that goes directly from the oven to your table—beautifully.
10. Let the kids cook dinner. Before school starts again, have a family cooking night. Get a kids’ pizza set and let them customize their own pies. It’s a great way to teach them cooking skills while making memories together.
Make this your bucket list and share your summer activities with us using #howipamperedchef.
This post has been updated since it was originally posted in May 2018.