It’s time to set aside the ketchup and mustard. Let’s get serious and take burgers and hot dogs from meh to amazing. Whether you love burgers made of beef, bison, pork, turkey, or chicken—or prefer brats, sausages, or classic hot dogs—there’s an out-of-the box topping you’ll love on this list. Hang on to this for the next time you light the grill or plan a big family cookout.
- Fried egg
- Bacon, brie, and grilled apples
- Tortilla chips
- Sautéed onions and mushrooms
- Avocado and chunky salsa (try these on Turkey Taco Sliders)
- Pimiento cheese (Burger toppings don’t have to only go on the top of burgers, either! Try these burgers stuffed with cheese: Sous Vide Stuffed Burgers.)
- Sour cream and arugula (try these on Walnut Quinoa Burgers)
- Snow crab, avocado, and pickled ginger
- Grilled pineapple and teriyaki sauce
- Marinara and provolone cheese (try these on Italian Meatball Burgers)
- Mac ‘n cheese
- Sautéed spinach and mushrooms
- Blue cheese and barbecue sauce
- Kimchi (great on Korean BBQ Sliders)
- Bacon and peach jam
- Swiss cheese, pickled jalapeños, and barbecue sauce
- Goat cheese, roasted red peppers, and horseradish
- Alfalfa sprouts and guacamole
- Hummus, feta cheese, and tapenade
- Wasabi mayo
- Fried onion rings and cheese sauce (here’s a recipes for BBQ Bacon Cheddar Sliders)
Hot Dog & Brat Toppings
- Tomato slices, onions, and steak sauce
- Ham, Swiss cheese, pickles, and spicy mustard
- Warm cabbage slaw
- Sauerkraut, swiss cheese, and Thousand Island dressing
- Nacho cheese, jalapeño peppers, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream
- Pickled vegetables
- Crumbled potato chips
- Salsa and cheese sauce
- Chili and shredded cheddar cheese
- Pesto, fresh basil, diced tomatoes, and grated Parmesan
- Scrambled eggs and sautéed mushrooms—a breakfast dog!
- Caramelized onions and melty Gruyère
- Pizza sauce, melted mozzarella, and mini pepperonis
Looks delicious ! Great blog and awesome pics !
My favorite burger topping is
Cream cheese, pepper jelly and jalapeños. Delicious!
Makes you want to Bar BQ! Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. Father’s Day is just right around the corner.
Amazing combos cant wait to use these ideas
Looks yummy!! Feel like adding those yummy fried onion rings and cheese on my chicken burger!!
Looks really good makes me hungry.
baked beans and coleslaw on a hot dog/mett
You make it feel so warm mmm yummy
These look absolutely scrumptuous!!!!!!!
Thanks Leanne Wagle. Sorry I couldn’t be there in person.
awesome recipe.. must try!
This is what I like most “Hot Dog & Brat Toppings”
Didn’t see peanut butter on the hot dog toppings lust!! It’s one of my family’s favorite toppings.
You’re kidding, right?
Chilli, onions, spicy mustard
Sauerkraut, mustard, onions
Piccadilly and chopped onions
Don’t forget some Bavarian kraut and polish sausage links (along with some sweet pickle relish, spicy brown mustard, and ketchup) for those dogs! My favorite! My late husband used to buy these for me at baseball games and I fell in love them (and him).
Red onion and chipotle aioli, brioche bun!
My Favorite thing to put on Brats is Mashed Potatoes and Sauerkraut, my 2nd favorite is Velvetta Mac and Cheese with bacon strip and little mustard and the 3rd best way is coleslaw, chili and mustard.
Great ideas. Can’t wait to use some of these. Love pimento cheese on my hotdogs!!