Melissa is a busy mom of three who works part-time serving lunches at her children’s school. When she was asked to volunteer for a new mobile food pantry, she was eager to help but had one nagging question: Could her family receive the food, too?
“Things had been tight for my family for a long time,” says Melissa. “We had no extra money and even received a foreclosure notice on our house. My husband had good work building fences, but it wasn’t enough.”
Melissa says that they’re getting by thanks to a school-sponsored free summer lunch program and that mobile summer pantry which is supported by Feeding America®.
“Once we started receiving groceries at the pantry each month, which conveniently fell right between our food stamps renewal, we sighed a huge breath of relief,” says Melissa.
Better Food. Better Health. Stronger Families.
Melissa says that the access they have to fresh, colorful produce and staples like bread and milk through the food pantry frees up her food stamps for meat that she can stock in their freezer. Melissa’s focus on healthy foods has also helped her husband’s type-2 diabetes disappear along with her stress about the family’s future.
“When I’m stress-free, my kids are, too,” says Melissa. “Someday, I hope they’ll all go to college like I never had the opportunity to do. Nothing, really, would make me happier than giving my kids a better life.”
Hunger Doesn’t Take Summers Off
More than 22 million children like Melissa’s currently receive free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch and Breakfast Program, yet the majority of those children—4 out of 5—lose access to those meals when public schools close for the summer months.
To help fill that gap, Pampered Chef has partnered with Feeding America® to launch the End Summer Hunger campaign from June 1 to Aug. 31. The purchase of each of the Emoji Cookie Cutter Set or the Kids’ Cookie Baking Set provides 11 meals to families and children in need.
3 Ways You Can Fight Summer Hunger
Melissa and her family not only benefit from their food pantry, they also give back and support the program as volunteers.
“The kids have a ton of fun helping out, setting up tables and boxes of food, and helping other families fill up their baskets,” says Melissa. You can help families like Melissa’s through Pampered Chef’s charitable causes. You can:
- Buy the Emoji Cookie Cutter Set or the Kids’ Cookie Baking Set from March 1–Aug. 31, 2017. For each set purchased, 11 meals* are provided to families and children in need through our Round Up From the Heart® program.
- Round up your order. When you round up your order, 100% of your contribution benefits your local area Feeding America® member food bank—helping people in your community who are struggling with hunger.
- Host a fundraiser party to make a bigger impact. When you have a Feeding America® fundraiser party, up to 15% of the total sales will be contributed to the Feeding America® national office.
Because of you and the Round-Up from the Heart® program, we’ve raised more than $25 million since 1991 for Feeding America® and during the 2015-2016 campaign, we raised enough to provide over 7 million meals! You can take action now and help us give even more.
* $1 helps provide 11 meals secured by Feeding America® on behalf of local member food banks. Pampered Chef® guarantees a minimum donation of $250,000 through the purchase of select Pampered Chef® products and other fundraising activities associated with the Round-Up from the Heart® campaign from Sept. 1, 2016–Aug. 31, 2017. Meal claim valid as of July 1, 2015.
Read More Stories Like This:
- Summer Hunger: Help Make a Difference This Year
- 7 Ways to Teach Your Children About Hunger (and Take Action!)
- Helping Kids Love Healthy Meals
- Ending Summer Hunger: A Girl’s Message of Thanks [VIDEO]